September 11, 2011

Ranty Rant Rant

Warning- What I have to say today may not be to the liking of everyone. I will not apologize for what I'm about to say. It is my opinion and just like everyone else with an asshole, I have one.

We watched the first 30 minutes of the ceremony for 9/11. After that we turned it off. It's ok to memorialize those that were lost in so tragic an event however to bemoan it and drag it out grates on my nerves. We did what was necessary to take care of the situation after it occurred. Why do people seek to make the feelings of pain last when the time has moved on? I love my country and I respect anyone in this country, be they from here or anywhere else, that fights for the freedoms we have today. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't be able to say we're proud of being in the USA because we wouldn't BE the USA.

Maybe I'm strange in that once a situation has arisen and been taken care of, I feel that it should not be lingered on. The message was received loudly and clearly and the threat was dealt with. We stood up and we kicked their fucking asses. A lesson was learned and we moved forward. So the fact that they take a whole day to do nothing but make the event an extravaganza of the dead and repeatedly speak of those lost does not to me bring honor to those that have lost their lives. Let the families remember them in peace. The area was made into a place of remembrance. How much more honor can you bestow upon the dead?

I hold little association with the dead. There are a few that I remember in my own humble way, but I do not force those ways on anyone else and they for my benefit alone. Maybe I'm just not understanding the brevity of the situation but I just know that I can't stand to sit and watch videos of past events that cause pain. I do not look back to remember pain. I have enough pain of my own that comes unbidden to carry along reminders of things that hurt.

My advice to people is this- the people that were but are no more, do not linger on them for all that does is strip away the life you have left to live. Carry them close to your heart and do things that would make them proud were they still here. To try and continue to bring them forward only hurts you and causes a stagnation in the growth that could be accomplished. Live your life for who you are now and enjoy those things which make you happy, knowing that by being happy, you are honoring them in this manner as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment