September 8, 2012

DragonCon Recap

Anyone that knows me, knows I get my geek on at DragonCon every year. My friends and I get a room(s) together and it has pretty much become a tradition with us. This year was no exception, but in some ways, it was a very different con for me.

I was on two panels this year. I've never been on a panel before. I enjoyed the hell out of myself and the only time I got nervous was when I had to introduce myself. I had several people tell me they enjoyed me being on the panel and I really hope I'm allowed to be on at least one panel again next year.

I also helped host a dark room party. I say helped, because while I did the majority of the planning and getting everything together, it took several more people than just me to make sure it worked. I want to say thank you to each of them for the time and effort they put into it. Without them, it wouldn't have happened. It seemed as if everyone that attended had a good time. This makes me happy. I did not participate in the party; I only sat in as a monitor inside the room. Anyone that knows me, knows I usually am right in the thick of everything, but this time, I was perfectly content to sit back and let everyone else have fun. I do not know if I will be doing the party again next year, but we shall see as time goes along.

I also dressed up 3 days in a row. Usually I'm lucky if I will dress up once. It appears I *may* be turning into a costume whore. Also... I had THREE bags with me this year. I normally only carry my large duffle. One of the smaller cases contained all of my costumes and the other... was SHOES. When did I become such a girl???!!!??? >.< I dressed up as Red Riding Hood on Thursday to go along with my friend's wolf costume. Friday I was in a pirate costume (which I was extremely pleased with and it will be showing up next year), and then on Saturday I was in my red/white ren faire outfit. I already have plans for another outfit to wear next year. (As a side note, I wonder if I should bring my pedicure thingy with me so I can soak my feet next year...)

I geeked out over Erin Gray and she actually touched me *gigglesquees*. I wanted to meet several other celebs but the lines were either too long or they cancelled prior to the con or they weren't there for whatever reasons when I went to the walk of fame. I got to watch the Dr. Who season premier. I found out that I apparently have developed the power to give a "mommy hug" to pretty much anyone that needs it. Seeing as I was told this by a 19 year old, it kind of warped my mind, but now that I've had time to roll it around in my head a bit, I really do think it's awesome that I can provide that level of comfort to someone and that someone would want that from me. It's not something I'm used to.

There were private moments with friends, loved ones, and close companions. There wasn't enough time and I wanted more than I got. But then I freely admit to being a greedy little wench. I will settle for being happy that I got the time I did with people. I did get a little bit of play time, but not nearly the amount that I had been hoping for, in several directions. Next year the planning will be worked out better, and hopefully I will have the vertigo under control better than I did this year.

And of course I can't fail to mention the Necomimi ears. For those that don't know what they are, here's the link: Necomimi Ears. I got to try them at DragonCon. I had seen something about them before they came out but now that I've had the chance to try them, I. WANT. THEM. I will have a pair. Somehow. Someway.

All in all, DragonCon was wonderful and it was strangely exciting and new. I can't wait to see what next year brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment