February 3, 2013

Rest well, dear friend


I got up this morning, things proceeding as normal and had just sat down with breakfast when Mini-me asked from the dining room, "Why is Niblet sleeping?" This did not bode well because while we, as adults recognize that birds sleep sitting up, either head up, or head under wing, small children don't get that. DH walked into the dining room, came back and looked at me and told me that he wasn't sleeping.

Over the last couple of months, it had crossed my mind and I had even made references to it to friends and family that he was getting older and the fact that he had been sick, which had never happened previously, made me wonder how much longer he'd be with us. I'd had him for somewhere around 20 years and had hand-fed him from a fledgling, shortly after he hatched. He was sweet and crazy, a bundle of dynamite wrapped up in a tiny package. He was a bird I trusted with my little one and the only time he ever really bit was when you seriously pissed him off, which was difficult to do.

I am so happy to have had him in my life and I will always miss him. Rest well my crazy little friend. You deserve a happy here-after.

1 comment: