March 21, 2013

Meditation- Am I doing it right?? (aka WTF??) O.o

I have been doing my best to meditate at least once a day as I was told to do by Shifu. I'm not quite sure I'm doing it right. I start out with my hands at my stomach, tips of my thumbs touching and one hand over the other (kind of making a triangle shape between them, if that makes sense). I focus on my breathing and then "feeling" my chi move up and down my spine, into my neck and lower back. As I'm doing this, I have noticed a pattern. My mind will eventually (timing varies) start to wander. And then I'm taken off on a journey through my head by whatever varying thought crosses my mind and gets my attention. I don't realize this is happening until some sort of sound brings my attention back to matters at hand.

I also realized that this is how I put myself to sleep at night. I center myself and allow the thoughts to cross by, letting myself follow whatever wandering thread my brain latches onto and then the next thing I know it's some time later or the alarm goes off, whatever. So meditation for me apparently = going to sleep. Which I don't think is what is technically supposed to happen. I have a penchant for getting lost in thought. Following flights of fancy wherever they might lead. It leads to some pretty interesting dreams. I think I'm going to have to study up on meditation a bit more to determine what I'm actually supposed to be doing because I'm fairly certain it isn't supposed to be falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment