October 19, 2010

Words of Affirmation

I was preparing myself for bed this evening when it struck me that I simply must write what I'm thinking or else I would never get to sleep. So here I am, instead of heading to bed, typing this out. Tomorrow's going to be a fun day.

You never know how your words will affect someone. For some people, words of affirmation aren't just a want. They are a necessity. Take me, for example. If all you do is critisize me, saying you love me won't do jack shit for me. In fact, all it will do is make me want to be around you less and less. If however, that 'I love you' is interspersed with words of affirmation, then I know everything is indeed hunky dory and I will continue on my merry way, striving to reach perfection as hard as I can. If you constantly call me a brat or say my work needs improvement, my attitude and the quality of whatever work I am doing will lower to those standards. If you tell me that I did a wonderful job, even if one or two small things were done incorrectly and that you know I can do better next time, I will strive to achieve that level that you wish for me.

When I am in what I call my submissive mode, I am a serious good girl. I want to please and be pleasing. If all I get is critisism, or if I don't realize it is said in play, then I will take it seriously and believe that I have failed in my duties to please and be pleasing. I do not like humiliation. Sometimes critisism can be used as a humiliation tactic. Be careful of this when playing with someone who does not do well with humiliation as it can hurt more than being hit beyond the pain threshold.

I say all of this simply to urge you to say something nice to someone around you at least once a day. You never know how it might brighten their spirits and raise them from whatever depths they may be in.

There. I think I can go to bed now. Good night everyone and pleasant dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment